Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019

Waking up to the beautiful snowfall this New Year's Day 2019 reminds me of freshness and newness, and it reminds me of Lamentations chapter 3 and God's faithfulness:
 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.


I always like to think about the pre-flood world as sort of a paradise, not Eden, but as much less harsh than what we live in today. No blizzards, no icy roads to travel down, no intense heat and humidity, food readily available, much longer lifespans, etc. Yet, as I read in Genesis 5 this morning, the text says that Noah's father, Lamech "called his name Noah, saying Out of the ground that the LORD has cursed, this one shall bring us relief from our work and from the painful toil of our hands"

Yes, life is difficult at times and we do toil to make a living and provide for our families, and "the world" bears down.
Find encouragement this New Year in the knowledge that His mercies are not consumed, His compassions fail not, His mercies and compassions are new EVERY morning.
Be thankful to Him for His faithfulness.

Happy New Year!